Sunday 1 November 2009

Style?

I've been thinking a lot about the style of our home school. There are a number of different styles of home schooling that range from what is essentially 'school' at home to unschooling often referred to as natural learning. In fact there are probably as many styles as there are kids in home school.

I think that we will be yet another 'style' of home school. I think we both believe that the three R's as such are really important so we'll want to add a little scaffolding that allows for some sort of consistent learning and wide coverage in those areas.

From my perspective thinking and learning- the ability to really think for yourself and go out and know how to learn about whatever takes your fancy. So I'll be monitoring that and looking at ways we can work those sorts of learning opportunities into our day.

And the rest will be Merenia's curriculum as per the list in her earlier post. And just living life and learning from; shopping, cooking, playing, reading, singing and dancing which are all things that Will and I do most days- which I guess makes us a bit unschool in a cool sort of a way.

I think the biggest challenge for me will be throwing off the last vestiges of my Teachers College Training (Yipee!) and being confident in our process.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, Please don't forget this is a family show- keep your comments polite and on topic. Cheers!